Do I Qualify for Bariatrics Surgery
- You must have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more, or a BMI of 35-40 and have at least two significant co-morbidities (illnesses related to obesity).
- Are free of severe psycho-emotional or medical problems that make surgery unnecessarily risky.
- Are neither drug nor alcohol dependent, or have at least one year of sobriety.
- Have documented attempts to lose weight medically.
- Are a non-smoker, or are making a serious effort to stop smoking.
- Have a personal ongoing commitment to improve your health and lifestyle. You need to be willing to change your lifestyle for the rest of your life.
The prequalification process will include working with members of our multidisciplinary team including our bariatric case manager, bariatrician, dietitian, psychologist and other support staff. Each healthcare professional will help you prepare for the changes and challenges that lie ahead.